Syrup: syrup 15mg/ml
Effervescent tablet: 25mg EFFERdose Effervescent Tablet
THINGS TO BE AWARE OF:
- Ranitidine (zantac) is histamine H2antagonist. It works by reducing
acid in the stomach by blocking one of the chemicals (histamine) that
stimulates the production of stomach acid.
- Zantac Syrup may contain alcohol.
- The ranitidine effervescent tablet may contain phenylalanine. Talk
to your doctor before using this form of ranitidine if you have
- If halving the EFFERdose it is suggested to throw other half away.
- Completely dissolve Zantac 25 EFFERdose Effervescent Tablets in
water (at least one teaspoonful for 25 mg tablets) and then administer
all the solution.
- Tablet should not be chewed, swallowed whole, or dissolved on the
- Ranitidine is very weight sensitive and should be adjusted regularly
with weight gain.
- Do not take an hour either side of antacids i.e. Mylanta/Maalox as
it will decrease its effectiveness.
- It is best to space this med an hour either side of a PPI i.e.
prevacid or prilosec, as it may interfere with absorption but also be
too hard on a child’s stomach all that once.
- May be taken with or without food, though most prefer to administer
it 30mins before feeding.
Store ranitidine at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and
light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Zantac Syrup out of the reach of
children and away from pets.
For children with GER and GERD (1 month and older):
5 to 10mg per kg per day, this is then usually divided over two doses.
5.5lbs to 11lbs 12.5mg (1/2 tablet) Twice a day
11 lbs to 22 lbs 25mg (1 tablet) Twice a day
22 lbs to 44 lbs 50mg (2 tablets) Twice a day
Treatment of erosive esophagitis, duodenal ulcers and gastric ulcers.
Also maintenance of healing of duodenal and gastric ulcers.
Anticoagulants (e.g., warfarin), beta-blockers (e.g., propranolol),
bupivacaine, ethanol, hydantoins (e.g., phenytoin), nifedipine,
procainamide, sulfonylureas (e.g., glipizide), theophylline, or triazolam
because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased
Sucralfate, (carafete) Nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (e.g., vecuronium)
because the effectiveness of Zantac may be decreased
Blurred vision; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness;
headache; feeling of a whirling motion; general body discomfort; nausea;
sleeplessness; stomach pain; vomiting.